aunt dyanne's famous chocolate cake
rich chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting
baked on Father's Day 2015 & 2017
yield: 16 servings
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Crisco oil
- 1 cup hot instant coffee (strong)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 cups (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 heaping tablespoons Crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- little milk
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Make cup of hot coffee and add to bowl.
- Add Crisco oil and milk.
- Mix the batter but do not overmix. The batter will be liquidy.
- Fill the two cake pans evenly with batter.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
For the frosting:
- Add the butter and crisco to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
- Add milk.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until icing is fluffy.
- Add more milk or powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Total calories: 9,410
- Calories per serving: 588