fresh berry cream cake
naked-style vanilla cake layered with fluffy whipped cream and berries
baked in July 2020
yield: 12 servings
prep time: 1 hour
cook time: 22 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 2 and 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (spoon & leveled – sift before measuring)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups cold heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups fresh berries (any berry or mix of berries)
- optional: dusting of confectioners’ sugar and/or fresh florals
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, then grease the parchment paper. I also recommend 8 inch cake pans as the 9 inch cakes will be pretty thin.
- Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add the egg whites. Beat on high speed until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Then beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- With the mixer still running on low, slowly pour in the milk until combined. Do not overmix. You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl. The batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans. Bake for around 22-24 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
- Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before assembling.
For the whipped cream:
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract on medium-high speed until medium peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
To assemble cake:
- If cooled cakes are domed on top, use a large serrated knife to slice a thin layer off the tops to create a flat surface. This is called “leveling” the cakes.
- Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate. Evenly spread 1 heaping cup of whipped cream on top.Arrange a single layer of mixed berries on top.
- Top with 2nd cake layer. Spread another 1 heaping cup of whipped cream on top, then a single layer of berries.
- Top with 3rd cake layer. Spread remaining whipped cream on top and garnish with fresh berries.
- Add a dusting of confectioners’ sugar on the berries, if desired, and/or garnish with fresh florals.
- Total calories: 6,072
- Calories per serving: 506