strawberry cake roll
vanilla cake roll with a strawberry cream cheese filling
baked in May 2017
yield: 10-12 servings
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature and divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- One 8-ounce (1 package) block full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Salt, to taste
- Strawberries, for garnish
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10x15-inch baking pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter, so the parchment paper sticks. Then line it with parchment paper so the cake seamlessly releases in step 9. Spray or grease the parchment paper too. We want an extremely nonstick surface for this cake roll.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar together on high speed for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Transfer to another bowl.
- Using the same mixing bowl you jut had the egg whites in (no need to clean it), add the egg yolks, remaining sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean. Beat together on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until light in color.
- Add half of the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Beat on low speed for 10 seconds. Repeat with remaining egg whites and beat on low for 10 seconds.
- Finally, add the flour mixture and beat on low until the batter is completely combined. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Give the pan a shake to make sure the batter is level and reaches the corners. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when you poke it with a finger.
- As the cake bakes, lay a thin kitchen towel flat on the counter. Sprinkle with 1 cup of confectioners' sugar.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, immediately invert it onto the towel. Peel off the parchment paper then, starting with the narrow end, begin rolling the cake up with the towel. Do this slowly and gently. The cake will be warm as it just came out of the oven.
- Allow the cake to cool completely rolled up in the towel. I stick mine in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to speed it up.
- Remove the cake roll from the refrigerator and allow to sit on the counter for a few minutes to warm up as you prepare the filling.
For the filling:
- Using a blender or food processor, process the freeze-dried strawberries into a powdery crumb. You should have around 1/2 cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese for 1 minute on high speed until completely smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the butter until combined.
- Add the confectioners' sugar, strawberry powder, and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until combined and creamy. Taste, then add a pinch of salt if needed.
To assemble the cake:
- Gently and slowly unroll the cake.
- Flatten it out and spread filling evenly on top, leaving about a 1/2 inch border around the cake.
- Gently and slowly roll the cake back up, without the towel this time. Make sure you're rolling it tightly. Some filling may spill out the sides.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Dust with more confectioners' sugar and garnish with some sliced strawberries, if desired.
- Total calories: 4,318
- Calories per serving (12 servings): 360