chewy brown sugar cookies
super soft and chewy brown sugar cookies
baked in May 2017
yield: 20 cookies
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
difficulty level: easy
image from Sally's Baking Addiction
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (use 1 teaspoon if you love cinnamon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/4 cups packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- Toss together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the egg. Finally, whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft, yet thick. Cover the dough and chill for 2 hours, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes if you had it chilling for more than 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Pour the granulated sugar into a bowl. Take 2 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball, then roll into the sugar.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently press the top of the cookie down with the back of a utensil or even use your fingers. You're trying to obtain a crinkly top.
- Place back into the oven for 2-3 more minutes. Cookies will be puffy and still appear very soft in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Total calories: 3,492
- Calories per cookie: 175