chocolate chip meringue cookies
light meringue cookies with mini chocolate chips
baked in January 2017
yield: 36 cookies
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
difficulty level: easy
image from Gimme Some Oven
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips by hand until combined.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoon-fulls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cookies are cooked and slightly golden.
- Turn the oven off, and let the cookies cool in the oven for an additional 20-30 minutes until cool.
- Remove and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container.
- Total calories: 2,192
- Calories per cookie: 61