chocolate reese's-stuffed cookies
rich dark chocolate cookies stuffed with a mini reese's cup
recipe from Sally's Cookie Addiction cookbook
baked in October 2017
yield: 16 cookies
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 12 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 16 mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Finally, beat in the milk. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (and up to 4 days). If chilling for longer than 3 hours, allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because dough will be quite hard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll balls of dough, using about 1 Tablespoon of dough for each cookie.
- Make a thumbprint in one of the dough balls, press a miniature peanut butter cup into the center, and top with another dough ball.
- Mold the dough around the edges of the peanut butter cup and roll it between your hands to ensure the candy is completely hidden inside. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the dough balls 3 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the cookies begin to crack slightly at the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Total calories: 2,958
- Calories per cookie: 185