chocolate thumbprint cookies
thumbprint cookies with chocolate frosting
recipe from Simple, Clean, & Homemade
baked in December 2015
yield: 24 cookies
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 18 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cookies:
- Cream the butter and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and salt.
- When combined, add the cornstarch and flour.
- Roll the dough into balls. Roll all but the top of the dough ball in chocolate sprinkles.
- Place on a plate or in a container. Place the rolled dough balls in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough balls from the refrigerator and bake on an ungreased baking sheet.
- After 10 minutes, make an indentation in each cookie using a melon baller.
- Continue baking for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, add butter and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- With the electric mixer on low, add the milk a little at a time until the frosting is the desired consistency.
- Mix on high 2-3 minutes.
- Frost the center indentation of the cookies in a swirling motion.
- Total calories: 4,473
- Calories per cookie: 186