christmas shortbread cookies
mini shortbread cookies with christmas sprinkles
baked in December 2015
yield: 48 mini cookies
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus more to butter the pan)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons Christmas sprinkles or nonpareils
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and extract at medium speed until creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix on low speed until a dough forms. It will be crumbly at first, but keep beating.
- Stir in the nonpareils until evenly distributed.
- Transfer the dough to a cutting board and roll it out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into 1/2-inch square pieces (a pizza cutter works well).
- Place the squares 1/2-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until bottoms just begin to brown.
- Total calories: 1,626
- Calories per cookie: 34