copycat girl scout tagalongs with shortbread cookie, peanut butter filling, and chocolate coating
baked in March 2017
yield: 30 cookies
prep time: 45 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
difficulty level: medium
image from A Dash of Sanity
- 1 and 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 and 1/2 cup (3 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound milk chocolate dipping candy
For the filling:
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together peanut butter and powdered sugar until it’s completely blended and no sugar can be seen.
- On a cooking sheet, lay wax paper or grease the pan with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 Tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture on the prepared pan. Set in the refrigerator while making the cookies.
For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt if wanted, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, take out peanut butter balls from the fridge. Using a spatula, remove the peanut butter from the pan. Place 1 ball in the middle of the shortbread cookie and use a butter knife to spread the peanut butter around the cookie. Repeat with remaining peanut butter balls and cookies. You will have some left over cookies (8-10) - just dip those in the left over chocolate.
For the coating:
- Melt chocolate per directions of the package.
- Once melted, place the cookie on a fork and dip into the chocolate. Remove the cookie from the chocolate once it is fully covered while still on the fork.
- Let the excess chocolate drip off and transfer on to wax paper to cool or greased cooling rack to harden.
- Total calories: 8,249
- Calories per cookie: 275