fudge stripe cookie sandwiches
chocolate ganache or creamy peanut butter stuffed between two sugar cookies with a chocolate drizzle
baked in August 2017
yield: 24 cookie sandwiches
prep time: 1 hour
cook time: 10 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache and Topping
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped and divided
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
Peanut Butter Filling
- 2/3 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
For the cookies:
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. If the dough seems too soft, you can add 1 Tablespoon flour until to make it a better consistency for rolling.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion out onto a piece of parchment paper or a lightly floured silicone baking mat to about 1/4 inch thickness. The rolled-out dough can be any shape, as long as it is evenly 1/4 inch thick.
- Stack the 2 slabs of dough, with a piece of parchment paper between them, on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (and up to 2 days). If chilling for more than 2 hours, cover the top slab of dough with a single piece of parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Remove one of the slabs of dough from the refrigerator and, using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut into circles. Reroll the remaining slab and continue cutting until all is used. Repeat with second slab of dough. You should have about 48 circles.
- Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut a hole into the center of 24 of them. Let’s call these 24 cookies the “donut cookies” because of that center hole.
- Place the whole circles and the donut cookies on separate baking sheets (because the donut cookies take 1 less minute to bake), placing all cookies 2 inches apart from one another.
- Bake the whole circles for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges, and the donut cookies for about 9 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through bake time.
- Remove from the oven. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before assembling.
For the chocolate ganache:
- Place 3 ounces of chopped chocolate into a small heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once cream begins to boil, immediately remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir gently and slowly until the ganache is smooth.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before adding to cookies. During this time, it will slowly thicken.
For the peanut butter filling:
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together peanut butter and powdered sugar until it’s completely blended and no sugar can be seen.
- On a cooking sheet, lay wax paper or grease the pan with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 Tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture on the prepared pan. Set in the refrigerator while the cookies cool.
To assemble the cookie sandwiches:
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate ganache or peanut butter filling on each whole circle.
- Carefully top each with a donut cookie and press down gently to create a cookie sandwich.
For the topping:
- Melt the remaining chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in 15-second increments, stopping and stirring after each until completely smooth.
- Drizzle over each sandwich. Allow chocolate to set completely, about 30 minutes.
- Total calories: 4,959
- Calories per cookie: 207