funfetti sugar cookies
classic soft sugar cookies with sprinkles
baked in May 2017
yield: 15 cookies
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
difficulty level: easy
image from Sally's Baking Addiction
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, plus more for sprinkle on top before baking
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add the sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color.
- Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough is quite thick and you may have to stir the rest by hand.
- Once combined, fold in 1/2 cup sprinkles.
- Scoop large sections of dough (about 2 Tablespoons of dough each) and roll into balls. Make sure the balls are taller, rather than wide.Add a few more sprinkles on top of each ball dough.
- Chill the balls of dough on the cookie sheet for at least 2 hours and up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.* This step will prevent spreading in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake chilled cookie dough for 10 minutes. The cookies will appear undone and very soft.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes and move to wire rack to cool completely.
- Total calories: 2,620
- Calories per cookie: 175