giant peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
huge peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and granulated sugar coating
baked in December 2017
yield: 24 cookies
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 14 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- optional: 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and beat on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla, then mix on high until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the chocolate chips. Dough will be thick and soft.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour in the refrigerator. If chilling for longer than a few hours, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard and the cookies may not spread that much.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll cookie dough into large balls, about 3 Tablespoons of dough per cookie (it's a lot!), and then roll the balls in granulated sugar.
- Place 8 balls onto the cookie sheets. Gently press down on each ball to slightly flatten.
- Bake each batch for 14-15 minutes until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Remove from the oven. If the cookies are still very puffy, you can gently press down on the warm cookies with the back of a spoon.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Total calories: 9,385
- Calories per cookie: 391