soft lemon cookies with tart lemon glaze
recipe from Sally's Cookie Addiction cookbook
baked in July 2017
yield: 32 cookies
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 or 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the granulated sugar and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 1 minute. Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract, and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. The cookie dough will be thick.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar into a bowl.
- Separate cookie dough into two halves and place in different bowls. Mix in white chocolate chips to the dough in one of the bowls.
- Roll balls of dough, 1 Tablespoon of dough per cookie, then roll each ball into the sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart onthe baking sheets.
- Using the bottom of a measuring cup or drinking glass, gently press down on each ball to slightly flatten.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Whisk the confectioners’ sugar and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice together. If needed, add 1 more Tablespoon lemon juice to thin out.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.
- Total calories: 4,631
- Calories per cookie: 145