peanut butter oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips and m&m's
recipe from Sally's Cookie Addiction cookbook
baked in December 2017
yield: 32 cookies
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 12 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1 and 1/2 cups mini or regular-size m&m's, plus more for topping
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, peanut butter, and vanilla extract, and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the oats.
- Once combined, beat in the m&m's and chocolate chips. The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes (and up to 4 days). If chilling for longer than 1 hour, allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard.
- Preaheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Scoop balls of dough, 2 Tablespoons of dough per cookie, and place 3 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Total calories: 8,135
- Calories per cookie: 254