oatmeal raisin cookies
classic soft and chewy oatmeal raisin cookies
baked in October 2019
yield: 30 cookies
prep time: 45 minutes
cook time: 13 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla and molasses and mix on high until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined.
- Beat in the oats, raisins, and walnuts (if using) on low speed. Dough will be thick, yet very sticky.
- Chill the dough for 30-60 minutes in the refrigerator (do the full hour if you’re afraid of the cookies spreading too much). If chilling for longer (up to 2 days), allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll balls of dough (about 2 Tablespoons of dough per cookie) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft and undone.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will continue to “set” on the baking sheet during this time.
- Total calories: 4,919 calories
- Calories per cookie: 164