pound cake cookies
soft pound cake cookies with tart lemon glaze and sparkling sugar topping
baked in May 2017
yield: 24 cookies
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 12 minutes
difficulty level: easy
image from My Baking Addiction
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Lemon zest, from one whole lemon
- 2/3 cup (1 stick + 3 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Sparkling sugar, optional
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, stir together the sugar and lemon zest until the sugar becomes moist and fragrant.
- Add butter to the sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, (1 and 1/2 Tablespoons), scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets leaving 2 inches between each cookie dough ball.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms of the cookies are golden.
- Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, prepare the glaze.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and milk.
- Spoon or pipe glaze over cookies.
- If desired, immediately sprinkle cookies with sparkling sugar. Allow glaze to harden before serving.
- Total calories: 3,517
- Calories per cookie: 147