light and airy vanilla meringue cookies
baked in May 2018
yield: 45 cookies
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 90 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, fresh and at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Cover 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. If you don't have any, you can lightly spray with cooking spray and then dust with powdered sugar.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of mixer, and mix at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Increase speed to high, and start slowly adding the white sugar, followed by the powdered sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract. Fold into mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 40-50 dollops onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 225°F for about 90 minutes.
- Turn oven off and allow meringues to cool and dry in the closed oven for an additional 90 minutes, or until dry.
- Carefully remove the meringues from paper and store in airtight container in a non-humid area.
- Total calories: 825
- Calories per cookie: 18