apple pie cupcakes
apple cupcakes with apple pie filling and topped with a brown sugar cinnamon swiss meringue buttercream frosting
baked in November 2015
yield: 24 cupcakes
prep time: 1 hour
cook time: 18 minutes
difficulty level: hard
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated apples (2 golden delicious, 2 gala)
- 3 apples, finely chopped (2 golden delicious, 1 gala)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste
- 24 mini Nilla wafers
- 24 Hershey's kisses
- 24 mini chocolate chips
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In large bowl combine eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla and whisk together.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Fold grated apples into the cake mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
For the filling:
- Place chopped apples, butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in medium size pan and cook over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, until apples are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Use an apple corer to remove the center of the cupcakes and fill with apple pie filling.
For the frosting:
- In bowl of stand mixer combine egg whites and brown sugar.
- Place over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes (The mixture should feel smooth when rubbed between your fingers).
- Attach bowl to mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Starting on low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high whisk until fixture if fluffy and glossy, about 10 minutes.
- Change mixer to paddle attachment and on medium speed add butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon to taste and mix well.
- Place icing in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and squeeze a dollop on top of each cupcake.
For the acorn topping:
- Use frosting to attach Hersey's kiss and mini chocolate chip to mini Nilla wafer.
- Place one acorn on each cupcake.
- Total calories: 7,837
- Calories per cupcake: 327