aunt dyanne's famous chocolate cupcakes
rich chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting
baked in June 2016
yield: 24 cupcakes
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 16 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Crisco oil
- 1 cup hot instant coffee (strong)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons Crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- Little milk
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Make cup of hot coffee and add to bowl.
- Add Crisco oil and milk.
- Mix the batter but do not overmix. The batter will be liquidy.
- Fill each cupcake liner with batter about halfway full.
- Place in oven and bake for 16-18 minutes.
For the frosting:
- Add the butter and Crisco to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
- Add milk.
- Beat on medium-high for 5 minutes until icing is fluffy.
- Add more milk or powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.
- After cupcakes have fully cooled, frost and spread with a knife.
- Total calories: 9,410
- Calories per cupcake: 392