caramel cream cupcakes
brown sugar cupcake with a cream filling and topped with a caramel frosting
baked in August 2015
yield: 12-14 cupcakes
prep time: 1 hour
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: hard
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) salted butter
- 1 and 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 and 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- 12-14 caramel cream candies
For the cupcakes:
- Slice butter into Tablespoon sized pieces.
- Heat butter in a light colored saucepan on medium heat until melted, whisking while it melts.
- After the butter melts, it will foam and bubble. Keep whisking.
- As the foam starts to fade, the butter will start to brown and have a nutty smell.
- Once brown, remove it from heat and pour into another bowl to cool. The butter can go from brown to burned very quickly, so watch it carefully.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth. Slowly add brown butter while mixing.
- Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Use a cupcake corer to remove the center of the cupcakes. If you don't have a corer, use a knife.
- Spoon filling into the hole in the cupcakes.
- Frost the cupcakes and top each with a caramel cream.
For the filling:
- Beat the shortening until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and water and mix until smooth. Filling will be thick.
For the frosting:
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and heavy cream and whisk constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes, no more.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer caramel to mixer bowl.
- Mix in powdered sugar, beginning with 3 cups and increasing from there until you get the desired consistency.
- Add milk to thin out the icing a bit.
- Allow icing to cool fully. Icing will be thick.
- Total calories: 8,575
- Calories per cupcake: 612