cinnamon swirl snickerdoodle cupcakes
vanilla cupcakes with cinnamon sugar layers topped with a vanilla cinnamon swirl frosting and garnished with a mini snickerdoodle
baked in December 2016
yield: 12 cupcakes
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 19 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup yogurt or sour cream, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted or unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 12 snickerdoodle cookies, mini size
- Use this snickerdoodle recipe: Snickerdoodles
- Bake 12 2-teaspoonful scoops for 5-7 minutes
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Whisk in 1 cup of sugar - mixture will be gritty.
- Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Spoon 2 scant Tablespoons of cupcake batter into each cupcake liner.
- Top with 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Top with 1 heaping Tablespoon of cupcake batter, until the cupcake tins are about 3/4 full.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon more of the cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake the cupcakes for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- With a handheld or stand mixer, beat softened butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes.
- Remove half of the frosting from the mixing bowl and transfer to a smaller mixing bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- To swirl the frosting, spoon half cinnamon frosting into the piping bag and half vanilla frosting into the piping bag. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired.
- Total calories: 6,096
- Calories per cupcake: 508