funfetti angel food cupcakes
light funfetti cupcakes with whipped cream cheese frosting
baked in January 2015
yield: 16 cupcakes
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 18 minutes
difficulty level: hard
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 and 1/2 Tablespoons rainbow sprinkles, roughly chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Rainbow sprinkles for topping
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse sugar until super fine, about 2 minutes (if you don't have a food processor caster sugar should also work).
- In a mixing bowl, sift together half of the sugar, the cake flour, and the salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, water, vanilla and almond extract and cream of tartar until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Switch to a hand mixer and whip mixture on medium speed while slowly adding remaining sugar to mixture, until medium peaks form.
- Sift just enough of the flour mixture in to evenly dust the top of the egg white mixture and using a spatula gently fold flour layer into egg white mixture and continue this process until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated (about 12 times).
- Fold in chopped sprinkles.
- Divide batter among paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup nearly full.
- Bake in preheated oven 19 - 22 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool completely then spread frosting over cupcakes just before serving and top with rainbow sprinkles.
For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add cream cheese to whipped cream along with powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator.
- Total calories: 3,187
- Calories per cupcake: 199