peanut butter brownie cupcakes
brownie cupcakes stuffed with a reese's cup and topped with peanut butter frosting
baked in August 2015
yield: 24 cupcakes
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 14 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 and 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups Dutch Process Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 24 frozen mini Reese's cups
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 – 5 cups powdered sugar
- 24 mini mini (unwrapped) Reese's cups
- Chocolate sprinkles
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Turn to low heat and let sit while you work on the rest of the ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl crack the 4 eggs, and beat well.
- Beat in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the hot butter/sugar mixture to the bowl, a little at a time, stirring until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter halfway into cupcake liners and place mini Reese's cup in the middle.
- Spoon remaining batter evenly between liners.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes.
For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl combine your butter, shortening, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in your powdered sugar, starting with four cups.
- Add about 1/4 cup of your whipping cream, combine well with mixer and switch to a high speed to beat until fluffy.
- You can play with the amounts of powdered sugar and whipping cream to get the exact texture and consistency that you want.
- Frost cupcakes and place mini Reese's cup on top. Frost mini Reese's cup to look like a mini cupcake.
- Total calories: 11,548
- Calories per cupcake: 481