pumpkin cupckakes with cinnamon swirl frosting and acorn topping
baked in October 2015
yield: 14 cupcakes
prep time: 13 minutes
cook time: 17 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted or unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- Pumpkin candy
- 14 mini Nilla wafers
- 14 Hershey's kisses
- 14 mini chocolate chips
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick spray. This recipe makes 14 cupcakes, so you will have a couple cupcakes to bake in a 2nd batch.
- In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs together until combined.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, oil, milk, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do NOT overmix the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 14 cups.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes (the longer you beat, the creamier the frosting).
- Add more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if the frosting is too thick.
- Taste the frosting and add salt if frosting is too sweet (1/4 teaspoon). Add 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
For the acorn topping:
- Use frosting to attach Hersey's kiss and mini chocolate chip to mini Nilla wafer.
- Place one acorn on each cupcake.
- Total calories: 6,252
- Calories per cupcake: 447