pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
light cakey pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
baked in November 2018
yield: 24 cupcakes
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces (2 packages) full-fat block cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the oil, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a mixer or whisk until completely combined. Batter will be thick.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners - fill only 2/3 full to avoid spilling over the sides.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Frost cooled cupcakes however you'd like. Place one pumpkin candy on each cupcake.
- Total calories: 10,533
- Calories per cupcake: 439