snickerdoodle cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
baked in December 2014
yield: 28 cupcakes
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces (1 and 1/2 packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 28 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with additions of milk, beating until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about ¾ full.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, use electric mixer to blend cream cheese and butter.
- Add sugars, vanilla and ground cinnamon.
- Spread onto cooled cupcakes, or scoop into piping bag and pipe on the frosting decoratively.
- Place sugar-cinnamon mixture in a fine sieve and tap it lightly over the cupcakes to give them a light sprinkle.
- Total calories: 8,751
- Calories per cupcake: 313