triple chocolate cupcakes
dense brownie cupcakes with whipped chocolate buttercream frosting
frosting recipe from I am baker
baked in July 2016
yield: 12 cupcakes
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 14 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups Dutch Process Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups (1 and 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl crack the 2 eggs, and beat well.
- Beat in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla until smooth. Make sure to get all of the cocoa powder broken down and incorporated.
- Add the hot butter/sugar mixture to the bowl, a little at a time, stirring until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 14-17 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. They should look moist but be well set on the edges.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy, or about five minutes. Be sure to stop at least once and scrape the bowl.
- With the mixer off, add in cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Turn mixer on low and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Add in heavy cream one Tablespoon at a time .
- Once all cream has been added and mixture is mostly combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer onto medium-high to high and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is lighter and fluffier.
- Frost the cupcakes and add several chocolate chips to top it off.
- Total calories: 5,288
- Calories per cupcake: 441