caramel nutella popcorn
caramel popcorn with nutella glaze
baked in July 2015
yield: 10-12 cups of popcorn
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 10-12 cups of air-popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sift out the unpopped popcorn kernels, and put all the nicely popped ones in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In a medium or large microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Heat for 30 seconds on high.
- Stir quickly to combine and microwave again for 2 minutes.
- Add the Nutella to the mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Microwave it again for 2 and 1/2 to 3 minutes until it is bubbly and about doubled in size.
- Remove from the microwave and quickly add the vanilla and baking soda.
- Slowly and evenly pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir/toss until all the popcorn is evenly coated.
- If you like your popcorn chewy, you can stop here — spread the popcorn onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, let it cool a bit and start snacking!
If you love crunchy popcorn, follow these steps:
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with tin foil and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the popcorn mixture onto the foil.
- Bake at 250°F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until crunchy.
- Total calories: 3,030
- Calories per cup of popcorn: 253