chocolate chip scones
chocolate chip scones with flaky outside and fluffy inside
baked in May 2016
yield: 8 scones
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on top before baking
- Optional: confectioners' sugar for topping after baking
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Grate the frozen butter. Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together.
- Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened.
- Slowly and gently fold in the mini chocolate chips. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet.
- Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of additional mini chocolate chips (optional) and coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Total calories: 3,740
- Calories per scones: 467