classic cinnamon sugar churros with chocolate sauce
chocolate sauce recipe from Just a Taste
baked in June 2020
yield: 18 churros
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 and 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the churros:
- For the coating whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish, set aside.
- Heat about 1 and 1/2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat to 360°F. While oil is heating prepare batter.
- Add water, butter, sugar and salt to a large saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add flour reduce heat to medium-low and cook and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until mixture comes together and is smooth (a few lumps in it are fine).
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, let cool 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg to flour mixture then blend immediately with an electric mixer. Blend until mixture comes together and is smooth (it will separate at first but keep mixing it will come together).
- Transfer to a 16-inch piping bag fitted with a rounded star tip (no bigger than 1/2-inch).
- Carefully pipe mixture into preheated oil, into about 6-inch lengths, cut end with clean scissors.
- Let fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towels to dry briefly then transfer to cinnamon sugar mixture and roll to coat.
- Repeat process with remaining dough (frying no more than 5 at once).
For the chocolate sauce:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl.
- Warm the heavy cream in small saucepan. (Do not let it boil.)
- Pour the heavy cream over the chopped chocolate.
- Let it sit for 1 minute then stir to combine.
- Total calories: 2,446
- Calories per churro: 136