fleur de sel caramels
soft and chewy salted caramel
baked in June 2017
yield: 20 caramels
cook time: 20 minutes
difficulty level: hard
image from Food Network
- Vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fine fleur de sel, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to drape over 2 sides, then brush the paper lightly with oil.
- In a deep saucepan (6 inches wide and 4 1/2 inches deep), combine 1/4 cup water, the sugar and corn syrup and bring them to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until the mixture is a warm golden brown. Don't stir -- just swirl the pan.
- In the meantime, in a small pot, bring the cream, butter and 1 teaspoon of fleur de sel to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the sugar mixture is done, turn off the heat and slowly add the cream mixture to the sugar mixture. Be careful -- it will bubble up violently.
- Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until the mixture reaches 248°F (firm ball) on a candy thermometer.
- Very carefully (it's hot!) pour the caramel into the prepared pan and refrigerate for a few hours, until firm.
- When the caramel is cold, pry the sheet from the pan onto a cutting board. Sprinkle the caramel with fleur de sel.
- Cut the caramel using a sharp knife into 16 equally-sized pieces.
- Cut glassine or parchment paper into 4-by-5-inch pieces and wrap each caramel individually, twisting the ends. Store in the refrigerator and serve the caramels chilled.
- Total calories: 2,727
- Calories per caramel: 136