s'more cookie bars
graham cracker cookie bars with melted chocolate and gooey marshmallow creme
baked in May 2020
yield: 16 bars
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
difficulty level: medium
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (9 graham crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars when they have cooled. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium-high speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed. Set aside.
- Toss the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder together until combined.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Press 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan.
- Spread the marshmallow creme on top. This will be tricky since the marshmallow creme is so sticky, but do the best you can to get an even layer.
- Sprinkle the marshmallow creme with chocolate chips.
- Mold the remaining cookie dough into flat pieces and layer on top of the chocolate chips. You won’t have enough dough to make one single layer, so some chocolate chips will be exposed.
- Bake the bars for 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely with the pan set on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
- Total calories: 4,164
- Calories per bar: 260