snickerdoodle biscotti with cinnamon sugar topping
baked in June 2020
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is thoroughly combined.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing just until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and rub your hands with a little flour. Divide the dough in two and form each half into a log about 4 inches wide by 10 inches long. Places the logs on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and water, and brush each log evenly.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the brushed dough.
- Bake on the prepared baking sheet until lightly browned and small cracks form on top, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly on the baking sheet, about 10 minutes (leave the oven on).
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board. Slice diagonally in generous 1/2-inch slices.
- Place them cut side up on the baking sheet and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned, turning over half way through.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Total calories: 3,181
- Calories per biscotti: 159