light and crunchy vanilla biscotti
baked in March 2020
yield: 28 biscotti
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 50 minutes
difficulty level: easy
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- coarse white sparkling sugar, for sprinkling on top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) one large (about 18" x 13") baking sheet.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, almond extract, and baking powder until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs; the batter may look slightly curdled.
- At low speed of your mixer, add the flour, stirring until smooth; the dough will be sticky.
- Plop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Divide it in half, and shape it into two 9 1/2" x 2" logs, about 3/4" tall. Straighten the logs, and smooth their tops and sides; a wet spatula or wet bowl scraper works well here.
- Sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired, pressing it in gently.
- Bake the dough for 25 minutes. Remove it from the oven.
- Using a spray bottle filled with room-temperature water, lightly but thoroughly spritz the logs, making sure to cover the sides as well as the top. Softening the crust just this little bit will make slicing the biscotti much easier. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Wait 5 minutes, then use a sharp chef's knife or serrated knife to cut the log crosswise into 1/2" to 3/4" slices. Or cut the biscotti on the diagonal, for fewer, longer biscotti.
- Set the biscotti on edge on the prepared baking sheet.
- Return the biscotti to the oven, and bake them for 25 to 30 minutes, until they feel very dry and are beginning to turn golden. They'll still feel a tiny bit moist in the very center, if you break off a piece; but they'll continue to dry out as they cool.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Total calories: 2,751
- Calories per biscotti: 115